Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Slow Cooker Thai Chicken

This recipe is so easy! It is great for those who work outside the home or on a busy day when you will be gone for part of the day. Since I am currently unemployed, I am home most days but I was gone from 4:30-6:30 p.m. for an appointment yesterday. Tony usually gets home between 5:30 and 7 so I wanted dinner to be ready once we were both home at 6:30. Slow cookers work great for that!

My mom has been making this recipe since I was a teenager. I've always liked it and have been making it since I got my first apartment at 22. Tony is a big fan as well! I had not calculated the nutrition facts before so I was pleasantly surprised to see how low cal it is! Especially with all the protein. You can't beat a low calorie, protein-packed meal like this.

Ingredients:
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
1½ cup salsa
½ cup peanut butter
4 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp ground or grated ginger

I know what you're thinking: in what alternate universe are peanut butter and salsa eaten together?! But trust me on this! The peanut butter gives the dish a good Thai peanut taste and the salsa mixes well with it. If you like chicken and like Asian food, particularly Thai food, you will like this!

Close up of the sauce ingredients

Place chicken in slow cooker.

Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl; mix well.

Pour sauce over chicken.


Cook on high 4 hours or low 7-8 hours.

All done! I took a large spoon and separated the chicken into 8 servings in the crock.

Serve with rice.

Look at that steam and how it shreds itself so easily! Yum! We didn't even need the knives I set on the placemats.

Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories 280
Total Fat 11g
Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsat. Fat 2g
Monounsat. Fat 4g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 98mg
Sodium 864mg
Potassium 3mg
Total Carbs 9g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars 4g
Protein 37g
Vitamin A 6%
Vitamin C 11%
Calcium 4%
Iron 7%

I used regular soy sauce. If you are watching your sodium intake, using low sodium soy sauce would reduce that a decent amount.

Here is the link to the printable recipe for those who prefer a nice clean recipe without photos and comments :)

Enjoy!


Katie's Food and Exercise Diary can be found here.
Tony's Food and Exercise Diary can be found here.
Our weight loss tickers can be found at the bottom of every page of our blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Katie's Weight Loss Ticker:


Tony's Weight Loss Ticker: